Sunday, October 08, 2006

Winding down

The air is getting colder and visitors are starting to dwindle as my time at Mt. Rainier is starting to wind down. The visitor center closes this week and so most of its summer workers are heading out and on with their lives. This means most of my friends- some are going to work at Seqouia National Park, some are going back home, some havn't figured it out yet. Either way, we are trying to make the most of our time left. Random pickup games of pictionary and one final night out to the Highlander, the closest bar in Ashford.

Even though things are slowing down that doesn't mean things aren't exciting! I was working last night and helping the servers out a little. As I stood in the server station on the computer I heard what I thought was large thudding coming towards me and then the glasses and machines around me started to shake. Earthquake! A 4.6 , with the epicenter located on the edge of the park. From what I know, there wasn't a whole lot of damage, a rock or two rolled into the road but no one was injured.

A couple weeks ago, my friend Lauren and I had a day off and were shown the way up Pyramid Peak by the wise and experienced gift shop man, Ed. Previously noted for his advice to sand point. He originally had stated it was an 8 mile hike but by the time we got to the top we knew it was much longer. We estimated, by the soreness of my feet and legs, it was about 15. It was a great hike though: along the tahoma creek and across a wobbly suspension bridge high above the water, into fields of red huckleberry bushes where we had to stop and munch, to the tippity top of the steep peak. On the way seeing a mountain goat and some amazing views. Pictures coming sooon.

I had previously seen a mountain goat (actually 3) on a hike with Jamie and Zack when my mom was visiting. On the way up to Pinnacle peak, one of my favorite trails. It was a cloudy day but we managed to get high enough to get above them. At the top, it was just us and an amazing view of the mountain with a sea of clouds below. I took about a billion pictures that I had accidently deleted but have recently recovered.! They as well will be posted soon.

Mountain goat: check Mountain Lion: check (seeing running across the road one night on the way home from work.) Bear: Check! Seen the other day on a quick hike at sunset up the Skyline 4th Crossing trail. A Mommy and 3 little ones. First seen by me as 4 black blobs in the valley but were obvious as we got closer. Unfortuntaly the battery in my camera had died on the way up the trail....figures....

So, during my last month here I can say I've seen all the wildlife I've wanted to. I am not overly anxious to leave but will be ready, by the end, for my next step. I am excited for my road trip down the coast and back home. Hope everyone is staying warm and cheering for the Tigers!

Take care and I will hopefully see everyone soon enough. Much love. - Annie

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, sorry i never came back down to visit. Any idea when you might be coming across the penninsula?
joe

11:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home